We are at the halfway mark of the One Room Challenge! But I feel like there is so much to do! I did not get any painting done, like I originally thought I would. But so many other amazing things happened! So, let’s get started!
Recap and Mood Board
So, what did we get done? Most of the beadboard is up. Yay! The tower is almost complete, as well. Most of the trim pieces are done. The DIY butcher block countertop is installed. What do we still need to do? The shelves in the tower need to be installed, as well as the supports. The cabinets for above the washer and dryer need to be bought or made (most likely will be made). The rest of the trim needs to be installed. All the painting needs to be done. The wallpaper needs to be put up. The shelves will need to be installed. I’m still waiting on a couple of collaborations to be finalized for some of these things. Lastly, all the accessories, including the lighting!
The beadboard went up on the washer and dryer wall and the tower wall. Beadboard runs the whole length of the tower in the back, as well. We have 3 small areas that still need the beadboard. All beadboard will be painted in SW Alabaster. Above the beadboard, will be wallpaper and I have decided to go with the birds. Even though it’s busy, I think it acts as a neutral. So excited to work on that part!
Butcher Block Counter
In order to cut costs, Andy built a DIY butcher block countertop for me. I saw an idea online about using wood flooring to make a countertop. We installed all our solid oak floors in our home, so we still had several bundles leftover. He used a piece of plywood and attached the wood flooring to the plywood. He applied glue first, then used the flooring nailer, just like you would for installing wood floors. I think I’ll give it a very light stain with a good coat of poly.
Andy used some left-over lumber we had in the garage for the counter supports. For us, this consists of 1×2’s and a 2×4. This is what the counter will sit on. He’ll do the same for the shelves in the tower, as well.
Making the Counter
We purchased a piece of 3/4″ plywood from the home improvement store and Andy cut it to size. Our area is 24 inches by 35 inches. Next, he applied regular white glue to give the wood something to stick to. He used a floor nailer to attach the boards to the plywood, just like you would when you install wood floors. The front of the counter will be trimmed out with a piece of thin oak trim. I still need to stain and poly the counter.
I really hope this weekend, we can get the caulking and finally painting done. Andy is going to start building the cabinets for above the washer and dryer, as well. We will have to move the washer and maybe even the dryer out of the room for a couple of installs: trim around the pedestal, final beadboard pieces. Really seems like we have a lot to do. I think the painting will actually go pretty fast. I do have the paint for the cabinets ready to go! I’m so excited to get this project done!
Until Next Time Treasure Hunters!
Catch up on the Laundry Room Refresh Here: