We made it to week TWO! So, we are “weekend warriors” and can really only do work on the weekends. But we were able to get some DEMO done and then the rebuilding of the W/D pedestal. The original pedestal was in okay shape, but it was beginning to sag a bit in the middle. I’ve been worried the whole thing is going to collapse. In my original idea (when we first move in), I wanted the W/D raised up with space underneath for laundry baskets. Well, I never did find any baskets to fit underneath and the whole area just collects dust. It really wouldn’t be an ideal space for clean or dirty laundry. So, we’re going to close the whole thing up and make it sturdier. Be sure to check out my IG stories for some behind the scenes shots. And be sure to check out all the other amazing rooms in challenge on the One Room Challenge Blog.
Let’s take a minute to remember the mood board that I’ve created. I think I’ve settled on a color scheme. I’m thinking the darker color on the cabinets and then one of the lighter colors for the shiplap/beadboard. I’m still waiting to hear from couple of companies for final pieces. But can we talk about the light? Isn’t it amazing? It’s going to be in brass, so just imagine it in all its glory. Go on, it’s okay to drool. 😉
I’m debating on the paint colors. I think I want to do a darker color on the cabinets, pedestal, and tower and then on the shiplap, a lighter color. I really have to wait for my wallpaper samples to come in to make my final decision. I just want it to all look cohesive. I’m really leaning towards that floral though. 😍
We (and when I say we, I mean “Handy Andy”) moved the washer and dryer off the old base. We took the base out for Andy to work on adding more supports. Then, we took down the cabinets. We are saving the cabinets (they are in perfect condition) for our Master Bathroom. I really want to stack them vertically over the toilet for extra storage. But that’s a project for another day. I removed all the wall decor and the shelf above the window.
The washer and dryer have been moved to the corner so we can work on the pedestal area. Because let’s be real, we’re going to need the washer and dryer sooner than later. If needed, I think we can hook up the hoses for emergency washing.
Andy removed all the trim around the pedestal. He’s going to still use the same base but add more supports and basically box in the whole area. For this part, we didn’t really have anything to purchase. Andy used wood that we already had in the garage, so that is a win!
See, I’m helping! 😂 We took down the existing cabinets because we’re doing a single cabinet on each side with shelves in between. I’d like the cabinets to go to the ceiling. If we’re not able to find stock cabinets, Andy will probably build them.
The new (old) pedestal has the extra supports that it needed. Andy also secured it to the wall to help prevent shake. He has attached the front plywood piece. Next will be the trim pieces. And then (hopefully) paint!
This weekend is Easter, so I don’t know how much we’ll get done. Hopefully, the trim and deciding on wallpaper and paint colors. I’m going to post some polls to my IG stories, so check that out. I have an ORC story highlight saved in case you missed it! Until next time Treasure Hunters!