2021 is over and I’m ringing in the new year with a blog post! Hopefully, I’m off to a more consistent start with this blog. I wanted to share my top ten posts from IG here on the blog….so let’s get to it!
I went simpler in 2021, but maybe I should have a ton of stuff by my front door again? I believe I shared this pic August 2021 before I had started decorating for fall. My favorite part was the corn stalks in the metal containers. I tried to do that this year, but we have a new puppy, and everything is a toy to him. 🤦🏼♀️
This was the entryway in 2020…I believe this is how I styled the entry for New Year’s Day 2020. Sometimes I do miss that mirror wall. 😉 I have some plans to update the entryway this year. I really want to add picture frame molding and maybe get a different mirror.
Simple Spring Porch
After all the Christmas decor went down, I went straight into spring. We can have some really cold winters that last forever here in Nebraska. We had snow in May one year. So, after Christmas, I kind of had the post-holiday blues and I really needed to improve my mood by decorating with flowers, pinks, and all things green. If you look in the window sidelights, you’ll see that there’s actually snow on the ground. 🥶🥶🥶
Painted Board and Batten
We originally painted the board and batten a dark green. While the dark color was on-trend, it really wasn’t my style. It felt too dark to me in our bedroom. So, I went with a lighter color called Boothbay Gray in March. I love how it lightened up the space. I plan on replacing the nightstands (still working on them) and adding window treatments this year.
Flowers in the Kitchen
This is from February when the winter blues really set in. Last February was so cold! We had -40-degree windchills for over 1 week. Luckily, we were able to spend some of that time in Miami, FL! But we came home to sub-zero temps after living with 85-degree temps for a week. So, when those winter blues set in, fresh flowers are my go-to. I always get my flowers at Trader Joes (they have such a great selection, and the prices are so reasonable). I added the fresh flowers to a vintage galvanized bucket, and I just loved this look. I’ll probably do something similar this year.
Kitchen Vent Hood and Fresh Flowers
This bucket and the fresh flowers in my kitchen were pretty popular, I guess! Makes me really want to go out and get some fresh flowers, like now. I have dreams of things that I would like to do to my kitchen, but they’re just dreams for now. The main thing that I really want to do is update our pantry. We have open shelves (and man is it messy), but I’d love to have some cabinets with counters on one wall and a second fridge. We’ll see if we can make that happen this year. My fingers are crossed!
Green Board and Batten
Oh, here’s the master bedroom wall before I painted it the lighter color. I guess the IG world preferred the darker color, but like I said, it didn’t feel like me. I believe my style is more French country/English cottage/farmhouse all in one and the dark green just was too much for me. The white furniture looks nice against the darker wall though.
Spring Front Porch with Tulip Wreath
My IG followers were really liking all the 2020 throwbacks! This is my most liked, most pinned, most shared picture ever! I really do like all the greens in the galvanized containers near the front door. The tulip wreath is something that I made after seeing something similar online. You can find my tutorial here. Have you seen my door anywhere on the web?
French Country Entryway
So, this is the current set up of our entryway: the table and the gold mirror. I do love changing out the table decor for the seasons. Like I mentioned before, I do have some small plans to update this space. I’d love to add some picture molding and maybe a wider mirror. It’s hard for me to commit to big ticket items (like a new mirror) because I’m
cheap I mean thrifty. So many items in this pic are from thrift stores, FB marketplace, or vintage markets: mirror ($9 from a thrift store), lamp and vase (from Goodwill), candlesticks, crock, and frame (from FB marketplace), and the white bowl was a find from Junkstock. I love thrifting!!
Built-in Shelf Decor
Drum roll please……..for the number one, most like picture on IG for 2021:
I have no idea why this is my most like picture…and it doesn’t even have the most reach! But I do love styling the built-ins that my husband built in 2020. I typically style the shelves several times a season just for fun. I love adding art and decorative pieces in with books. I’ve added more books to the shelves since this picture and I’m really loving it!
What’s to Come
I hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane of 2021. I hope to utilize my blog more this year and to give you more inspiration and ideas.
Some of my plans for this year are:
- Updating my nightstands for the master bedroom. I’m currently working on this project, and I have been for several months. I originally stripped the white paint off and discovered that my beautiful nightstands were not 100% wood. That was a huge disappointment. I attempted to stain the wood and then paint the rest, but it was too busy of a look. Now, I’m painting the whole thing and I may be adding some cane. Stay tuned for this project!
- Repainting the mudroom wall. I have some samples that I’m trying out. I want a dark/moody color for the mudroom wall only. I plan on leaving the bench the white color. I also will be painting the door to the garage the same color. And I will be updating the lighting.
- Entryway. I really want to add the picture frame molding. I would love a wider mirror, but I will probably have to wait until I find one thrifting or I can find a really good deal on one.
- Pantry. I want to add cabinets, counters, a fridge and update the shelving. We need more usable storage, so things are now stored on the floor.
- Laundry room. I want to remove the current cabinets and have 2 cabinets with open shelves in the middle above the washer and dryer. I also want a tower for laundry baskets. We have so many! Beside the tower, I would like a counter and underneath our laundry hampers for sorting.
- Master bathroom. I really want to take the cabinets from the laundry room and use them in the master bedroom for storage. Storage in the bathrooms is my main failure with building this house. I really wish I would have added in storage to the bathrooms. So, adding in some storage and updating the decor in the bathroom are the updates that I want to accomplish.
- Master bedroom. I plan on using the updated nightstands and adding in window treatments. I’m actually the closest to finishing this project. I hope I can have it done before the end of January.
- Basement. This is a HUGE project. We have a ranch style home that is about 1900-ish square feet with a full unfinished basement. This project will have a ton of smaller projects. I’m really hoping we can at least get started on this project sometime this year.
Thanks for being here! And here’s to next time Treasure Hunters!